When I posted this Spicy Peanut Tofu recipe on my Instagram Stories a month ago, a lot of you reached out and told me you made it. You also told me it was amazing. Reading all your messages makes me so me so happy and I know why. This recipe is fantastic, it is both easy and indulgent which is a win in my books. I have already made it four times since my post on Instagram. I like it that it can be whipped up with a few pantry staples. It is a real lifesaver for me on crazy busy evenings when everyone at home seems to be having a meltdown and I need dinner on the table quickly. This creamy spicy peanut tofu has become our family's favourite.
The tofu is cooked in a rich and spicy peanut butter sauce that is totally addictive, very similar to a satay sauce. The tofu is not baked or fried but it still works wonderfully in this creamy sauce. I recommend serving it with jasmine rice topped off with toasted sesame seeds. For the rest who have bookmarked this recipe, I urge you to try it.
Recipe from the Buddhist Chef cookbook
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Vegetable broth 250 ml (I used 1 teaspoon stock powder dissolved in 1 cup warm water)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter 64g
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablepsoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 block extra firm tofu 450 g
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Add the minced shallots and the garlic and saute for two to three minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine vegetable broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, and sriracha sauce. Whisk until thoroughly combined. I usually blend the sauce for more uniform consistency.
- Pour the sauce into the saucepan with the shallots and garlic.
- Add the tofu, bring to a boil, then simmer the sauce until the sauce is creamy. Serve over steamed jasmine rice
The products mentioned on this page may be affiliate products. Maplechutney.com may receive a commission of the sales price of any product listed on this website. Please note that I only include affiliate products that I have tested and consider useful.